- Cut chicken into 1" cubes. Peel and cut all root vegetables to 1/4" cubes. Finely dice the leek.
- Heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until wilted.
- Add the chicken and combine with onions.
- Add all the remaining vegetables. Combine and cook 2 minutes to barely heat through.
- Add the stock, thyme, bay, Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper if needed. Add the Sherry and cook for 3 more minutes.
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
You can tell by the recent recipe choices that it's the dead of winter down here in Houston. Boy can it get chilly. You even need a light jacket some mornings. Brrrr.
Actually, it doesn't have to be below freezing to feel a chill. Damp, dank days in the 40's, especially with a drizzle, still make one long for a warm soup and fresh bread. So that's what I'm planning for tonight.
Chicken and Root Vegetable Soup
1.5 pounds chicken breast
3 cups potatoes
2 cups each parsnips, celery root, leeks
1.5 cups each carrot, onion
1 cup turnips
3 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons butter
6 sprigs fresh thyme (or 3/4 teaspoon dried)
1 fresh bay leaf (or 2 dried)
8 cups fresh chicken stock
3 tablespoons Sherry (optional)
Note: This recipe is simple, but it takes a long time to cut up the vegetables. Plan on one hour total time.