- Cut chicken into 1" cubes. Peel and cut all root vegetables to 1/4" cubes. Finely dice the leek.
- Heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until wilted.
- Add the chicken and combine with onions.
- Add all the remaining vegetables. Combine and cook 2 minutes to barely heat through.
- Add the stock, thyme, bay, Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper if needed. Add the Sherry and cook for 3 more minutes.
Friday, January 28, 2011
This is a great recipe to work on your knife skills. If you've got the time and patience, try to cut all those 1/4" vegetables into very uniform cubes. The best way to do that - cut 1/4" slices, cut those into 1/4" sticks, cut those into 1/4" cubes.
Chicken and Root Vegetable Soup
1.5 pounds chicken breast
3 cups potatoes
2 cups each parsnips, celery root, leeks
1.5 cups each carrot, onion
1 cup turnips
3 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons butter
6 sprigs fresh thyme (or 3/4 teaspoon dried)
1 fresh bay leaf (or 2 dried)
8 cups fresh chicken stock
3 tablespoons Sherry (optional)
Note: This recipe is simple, but it takes a long time to cut up the vegetables. Plan on one hour total time.